Australian Shepherds are adaptable, animated and agile. They are known for wearing multiple hats from being search, rescue, and therapy dogs and serving as guide canines for the blind too. This breed also excels at obedience, agility, and sports.
Whether your Aussie is simply a family pet, works on a farm or herds livestock – he will need a nutritious, high-quality diet to sustain energy and remain healthy.
But you are probably wondering:
Which dog food is the perfect choice for your furry friend? It is not that simple to determine the right diet options for your pet, but that is why we are here. We have put together a list of the top australian shepherd dog food for puppies, adults and mini’s.
Keep reading to know more.
Top Rated Dog Foods For Australian Shepherd - Adults, Puppies, and Minis
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula - Best Overall
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is our favorite dog food as it was created for their well-being and health. It features garden fruit and veggies, whole grains, and real meat. What is important is that there is no chicken by-product meals, soy, wheat, or corn.
This excellent canine diet contains LifeSource bits, a mixture of essential nutrients, enhanced with antioxidant-rich ingredients. It includes chondroitin and Glucosamine for mobility and joint health, and 6 fatty acids and Omega 3 for healthy skin and coat. This Australian shepherd food is excellent as it will boost your pet’s immune system and keep him healthy.
So, if you are looking for unique dry food for your dog that supports healthy oxidative balance, life stage requirements and immune system health, the Blue Buffalo is a perfect choice.
Crave Grain Free Dry - Great For Adult Pets
This product is ideally suited for Australian shepherd dogs of all sizes. And you can be assured that these formulas don’t feature artificial colors or flavors, wheat, corn, soy or grain. It is made from a precise blend of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that were selected by animal nutritionists and holistic veterinarians.
This dog food that is rich in protein will provide all nutrients your pet needs to maintain and develop a healthy, lean body, the energy to play and run, and a strong immune system. These are great news, right?
This high-protein recipe will provide your furry friend with the energy to help them maintain lean bodies. And the best part of this product is the fact it includes high-quality animal proteins for flavors your dog will undoubtedly love.
Purina Pro Plan Savor - Best For Aussie Puppies
Not only that Purina Pro Plan Savor will provide your puppy with the best nutritional foundation, but it also a great taste that he will love. This recipe features real chicken as its number one ingredient. It will help your little furry friend to maintain and build muscles.
The formula includes tender shredded pieces and hard kibble for texture and taste that your pup will adore. It will support his digestive health system as it contains live probiotics. And not only that, but this recipe also has omega-rich fish oil that improves canine’s vision and brain development.
Looking for a balanced nutrition dog food for your puppy that will keep him full of energy? Search no further, because Purina Pro Plan Savor is the perfect choice for your little four-legged friend.
Royal Canin Small Puppy Food
The Royal Canin is designed with key ingredients for digestive health and growing dog’s dental needs. And just because your pet is a little pup right now, does not mean his nutritional needs are tiny. On the contrary, he needs a lot of vitamins and minerals as he is still developing and growing.
That is why this product is an excellent choice for your mini Aussie. It has plenty of healthy fats and protein that comes in a small kibble size. And the best part is that the combination of essential nutrients and antioxidants supports and boost the immune system of your pet.
You just can’t go wrong with this product, as it contains a patented complex of prebiotics and antibiotics that help support your puppy’s immune system.
Nutro Ultra Adult Chunks - Wet Food
Nutro Ultra Adult is specially made for adult pets. It features a combination of natural ingredients such as spinach, sunflower, and blueberries to support your canine’s overall well-being, heart health, coat, and skin. This recipe also includes a mixture of premium-quality, healthy, three lean proteins which are great for maintaining his muscles.
And what your dog will indeed like is its excellent taste. It is made with no artificial preservatives, flavors, and colors. As a matter of fact, its proteins comes from salmon, pasture-fed lamb, and farm-raised chicken.
So, if you want to purchase the best dog food for your adult Australian Shepherd, you should consider this high-quality, nutritious recipe. It will boost his immune system and improve his health condition.
Hill's Science Diet Adult 7+ - For Senior Dogs
If your Australian Shepherd is a senior who loves playing and running around like he is still a puppy, this recipe might be an ideal choice for him. The Hill’s Science Diet Adult dog food provides crucial nutritional needs for older pets that support and promotes youthful energy and well-being.
And what’s essential for senior canine’s, it doesn’t contain a lot of calories. It is packed with antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that boost the immune system and promote health. This formula also features L-Carnitine that will maintain your Aussie’s healthy weight. We need to mention that it doesn’t contain artificial preservatives, flavors, colors or fillers.
Formulated for mature pooches, this recipe provides your furry friend with the minerals and vitamins he needs for a lifetime of happiness and health.
Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch
If your pet has skin and coat issues and sensitive stomach, you should consider eliminating coarse grains from his diet and give him other healthy ingredients and wholesome foods. The Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch formula would be an excellent choice for your furry friend. This high-protein, the grain-free recipe includes antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that will promote your canine’s well-being.
This product is an ideal choice for Australian Shepherds who have digestive problems. It is rich in healthy fats as it features whitefish, salmon, and herring. That is also very beneficial for coat and skin health. We need to mention that this food contains supplements, minerals, vitamins, and L-Carnitine that will maintain strong muscles and boost your pet’s immune system.
The recipe is formulated without gluten or grain, so it is perfect as a grain-free, high protein alternative diet. High-quality, natural ingredients provides amazing nutrient absorption and excellent digestibility.
Australian Shepherd Dietary Considerations and Needs
Aussie Shepherd can be prone to elbow and hip dysplasia. For that reason, it is essential to be mindful of your furry friend’s weight throughout his life. Although there is no one-size-fits-all diet for this breed, you should consider selecting food with several health benefits.
- Protein – A high-quality food for dogs will include whole meat proteins in the first ingredients like lamb, fish, beef, or chicken. The AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) recommends 18% protein for maintenance in older pets and 22% for growth in puppies.
- DHA – Puppy meal that contains an omega-3 fatty acid, Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), is excellent for the his brain development. When you are choosing the best recipe for your little four-legged friend, always check for this ingredient.
- Healthy Fats – To provide omega-3 fatty acid, look for ingredients like fish oil or chicken fat. It helps to keep the coat and skin healthy and shiny. Fat is an essential energy source for any dog, not just Aussie, and should comprise 5% of the food for older dogs and 8% of the diet for puppies.
- Phosphorus/Calcium – Dog food for puppies should have a phosphorus to calcium ratio of about 1 part phosphorus to 1.2 parts calcium. Bear in mind that having excess or deficiency of calcium in your pet’s diet can lead to health issues like painful bone spurs.
What to Avoid Feeding Your Aussie Shepherd
Australian Shepherds are generally active and healthy breed, but they also can have some health problems. These issues can be affected by the food he is consuming. The following considerations are essential to keep in mind when you are choosing the right diet for your furry friend.
But, bear in mind, they are not guaranteed to treat or prevent symptoms of any kind. If your canine has some health problems, please consult your veterinarian first. He will help you to choose the best diet dog for your pooch and move forward with treatment.
To prevent these health issues, there are some foods you should not give to your Aussie.
More of that in a second…
- Chocolate – It features theobromine which can cause heart problems, digestive issues and in some cases death. You should never give it to him, especially dark chocolate. Read more about it here.
- Garlic and onion – These ingredients can cause anemia as they are killing your pet’s red blood cells. A tiny bit of either garlic or onion will not cause problems, but a lot will lead to food poisoning. Find out more about Symptoms of Onion Toxicity in Dogs.
- Xylitol – It is a sweetener that you can find in baked goods, toothpaste, candies, or gums and can lead to your canine’s liver failure and cause his blood sugar to drop.
- Caffeine – caffeinated tea, coffee or other foods and beverages that contain it are forbidden to animals. Even a small amount can lead to restlessness, digestive issues, or vomiting, while large amounts can cause seizures, heart rate or death.
- Alcohol – Alcohol can lead to breathing issues, vomiting, diarrhea and even death in some situations. However, it will take less to hurt your furry friend.
Feeding Schedule and Amount
Originally bred as capable, smart herding canines, Aussie Shepherds are medium-sized, active dogs who are usually happiest when they have time to play, run and chase. To keep them healthy it is essential to provide them with the right amount of food that includes a lot of nutrients.
You must be wondering:
How much should I feed my furry friend? Well, figuring out the answer is a bit tricky, but we are here to help you with that.
When you are deciding how much to feed your pooch, the most important consideration is his activity level. Other essential factors are the size and age. On the average, an Aussie needs about 1 ½ to 2 cups of high-quality food for pets daily.
If he eats properly and exercises regularly, he will have a long and healthy life. So, you need to stay alert when it comes to your dog’s physical condition to ensure he is getting the proper amount of food.
As we already have mentioned, how much food your pet consume should depend on his level of activity, build, metabolism, age, and size. About 1 ½ to 2 cups of high-quality food divided into two meals per day. If you have a senior dog, you should reduce the calorie level intake by 20%.
Puppy requires food that will help him develop his muscles and boost his growth. On average, he will need about 3 to 4 meals per day. His food needs to feature about 25 to 30% of protein, phosphorus, calcium, and fat. And when he is 4 months old, you can give him quality pup food 2 times per day.
Common Health Problems
Australian Shepherds are prone to some health problems, so it is important always to consult your vet if you notice some strange behavior. When you act immediately, you can prolong your furry friend’s life and save your money.
The following health issues are the most common:
- Allergies – Food allergies are common in this breed. They can be identified and adequately treated. Until you find the culprit, just get rid of some ingredients in the canine’s food.
- Hip dysplasia – It is a condition that is heritable. The femur does not normally fit into the hip joint’s pelvic socket. We recommend a regular hip evaluation.
- PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy) – It is an eye disorder that will cause blindness if not treated. Always get regular ophthalmologist evaluations.
- Elbow dysplasia – Also a heritable condition where bones that make up the elbow have different growth rates. We recommend checking your dog regularly.
- Obesity – Australian Shepherds have big appetites because they are very energetic. They should consume the proper amount of food according to their age, size, and activity. Too much foodstuff can lead to obesity.
- MDS (Multiple drug sensitivity) – This breed might be highly sensitive to common drugs. We highly recommend testing.
In the end, trainable, brainy, smart and tireless, are some of the words that are used to describe the Australian Shepherd. Therefore, as a caring Aussie owner, it is essential to know what best suits your pooch.
Your veterinarian’s recommendations are significant, as well as your dog’s digestive problems, food allergies, level of activity, special conditions, life stage, and preferences. After considering all these factors, you should read our reviews so you can choose the best dog food for this breed. We hope that our list will help you make an informed decision.